In the XVI century this region was inhabited by the guanches and belonged to the mencey Acaymo de Güímar. The existence of dwelling caves in this period is known.
Different stories are told about the appearance of the parish patron, San Joaquín, that was exchanged for an animal, maybe for a goat. Its image was placed in a cave, later being moved into the old church.
In 1796 the temple of San Joaquin acquires the category of parish, that had belonged in different moments to the parish of San Pedro Apóstol, of Vilaflor, and to the one on Lomo de Arico.
Before being built, Fasnia already had an alderman, and was separated from the territory of Arico in 1814.
The municipality’s dwellers are known by their tenacious struggle against the aridness of the land, until in 1934 don Juan González Cruz was able to find water, starting gallery drilling that today allows the precious liquid to be diverted towards other municipalities.
Places of Historical Interest
Ancient Royal Road: Barranco de Herques. House of Los Delgado- Siglo XVII Century.
The Cemetery. Barranco de San Joaquín.
Located on Fasnia’s high grounds.
Temple of the Virgin of los Dolores. XIX Century.
Parochial church of San Joaquín. 1800. Rebuilt in the XX century.
The temple was blessed in 1800. Rebuilt in 1933.
Images of Jesus Crucified appear.
San Joaquín . XVII Century
San José and Virgin of Los Dolores. XIX Century.
Santa Ana . XVII Century.
Virgin of El Carmen.
Venezuelan Custody. End of the XVIII Century.
Aldea Windmill. 1840.
Bridge of the three eyes (Puente de los Tres Ojos).
Ruins of the Old Church of San Joaquín. XVII Century.